Friday, November 16, 2007

More on Joel Osteen - God's Best

Wolf Blitzer: All right. What about many evangelicals would call the moral issues whether abortion or gay rights? Do you get involved in trying to express your opinions on those sensitive issues?

Joel Osteen: You know, I would say this, Wolf, I don't crusade against them or crusade to make my opinion known. Again, I feel like my calling is to bring hope and encouragement and teach people how to live their everyday lives. But I'm not for abortion and I don't think homosexuality is God's best but I just try to stay in my calling and the main thing is we're for everybody to bring them hope and encouragement and not to exclude a certain group from our following.

Wolf Blitzer: Explain why you think homosexuality is not God's best because homosexuals believe that was the way God created them. They were born this way to either love women or love men and they had no choice in the matter and this is simply the way, the way God created them.

Joel Osteen: You know, Wolf I can't say that I understand it all. I don't. When I read things like that, I don't know that I understand it all. I just go back to the foundation of my faith. It's based on the truth that I found in the Bible and I only see, you know, relationships between men and women is the way God created us to be. I'm not saying I condemn them. I'm not saying I understand it all, but I just, I have to say this is my core belief on the inside.

Wolf Blitzer: And what about same-sex marriage or same-sex unions. If two men love each other and want to spend the rest of their lives with each other or two women love each other, should they get the benefits, the rights that heterosexual couples have?

Joel Osteen: You know, Wolf, I'm not up to speed on all that. I just - I don't believe again that it's God's best for us to say that a marriage is between a man, I believe marriage is between a man and a woman. I don't know about all the technical issues. I'm certainly for everybody having a chance in life and being kind and respectful to everyone. But I just don't know if I'm up to speed on it all. (CNN, The Situation Room, November 9, 2007)

I'm glad he opposes gay marriages and abortion, but to say it isn't "God's best" is like saying murder isn't God's best. When did "sin" become a four-letter word?

Labels:

1 Comments:

At November 19, 2007 4:03 AM, Blogger Kelly Klages said...

So should we be relieved that he at least knows he's not up to speed, or feel depressed knowing how many people will follow him in spite of this?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home