Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Joel Osteen on Larry King Live


A few quotes and comments from Osteen's appearance on Larry King last night. King really pressed him on what the critics say:

Larry King: Victoria, when Joel is criticized for not being the pastor who hangs the cross behind him, how do you react?

Victoria Osteen: Well, I just look at all the fruit and all the people's lives that are being changed and are being touched. And that's what we really focus on, because we hear -- every day we get mail, we visit with people and their lives are being changed. And I just think, you know, if they would come in, they'd hear our message, they'd see what's going on. I just believe that they wouldn't have that criticism.
Peoples' lives are changed by the cults as well. Their lives may even seem to improve - for awhile. Just because people go away feeling better that isn't evidence of God's blessing on their work.
Larry King: How do you react to the critics who call your message theology lite?

Joel Osteen: Well, I've heard that before. It's interesting, Larry, every week in our services we deal with people that are -- have children that have cancer, people that have a husband or a wife that left them. We deal with the real issues of life. I talk about forgiveness and how to have faith when bad things happen and, you know, how to overcome and, you know, love your enemies and things like that. So when they say it's gospel lite, I think, you know, we're helping people where the rubber meets the road.

I mean last Sunday, there was a little girl there. She was 2- years-old. She has cancer. She's at our MD Anderson Cancer Hospital. And you know what? We give them hope. We pray for them. We say God's going to give you strength. I mean we don't know exactly what the outcome is going to be. We hope they -- we hope she'll live. But, you know, how can that be gospel lite to me?
He is giving people hope - but is it a false hope? He tells them about forgiving others and having faith - but what about salvation?
Larry King: All right, a critic -- this quote to -- from Reverend Robert Liichow: "Joel Osteen has absolutely no biblical training or experience to be a pastor. Would you allow a surgeon to operate on you because he felt that he should be called a surgeon?"

Joel Osteen: Well, I would think two things, Larry. One, I spent -- I grew up in a preacher's home. I spent 17 years working with my father. The second thing is the disciples that Jesus chose -- his main 12 -- one was a fisherman, a tax collector. They didn't have any formal training, as well.
First, Joel Osteen spent 17 years working with his father - who was a Word Faith preacher. Secondly, I would venture to say that spending three years or more in the physical presence of the Creator of the universe was probably pretty good theological training.
Larry King: OK. No crosses on display at your church.

Joel Osteen: Yes...

Larry King: The only church that I know -- the Mormons don't display crosses.

Joel Osteen: Well, Victoria grew up Church of Christ. They didn't, either. It's never -- I mean, Larry, our whole message is the fact Jesus came, he died on the cross, he rose that we might have an abundant life.-----
He got that right - that IS Osteen's entire message. No, Joel, Jesus came and died in payment for our sins so that we could obtain eternal life, not just so we could prosper in this life.
Larry King: What about the critics who say where is the fire and brimstone? Why don't you pound the lectern -- the devil is coming?

Joel Osteen: Yes, you know, I don't know, Larry. It's just, you know, it's different ways to present it. The gospel is translated good news. And to me, good news is letting people know that God loves them, that Jesus came, that we can overcome any obstacle, that we can -- we can be forgiven for our mistakes. And I don't see how beating people down every, you know, every time they get in front of me how that helps them to grow closer to God.
Why was it that Jesus spoke so much about hell and repeatedly warned people against going there? That isn't a positive message Joel.
Joel Osteen: Well, I think it's easy to get delusioned maybe is the word just with all of that fame and notoriety at such an early age. And sure, I think Britney Sears can be helped by that -- by this book. I think anybody could because it's the principles of the bible. And I think that she's -- these are good people at heart. And they just need some good guidance and good people speaking into their lives.
The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it? (Jeremiah 17:9)
Larry King: How do you feel about Mitt Romney and being a Mormon? Would that affect whether you vote for him or not?

Joel Osteen: Well, you know what? I look at people, their character, their values, what they stand for. And I know only Mitt from watching him on your program and reading a couple of articles about him. And I don't think that that would affect me. I've heard him say that he believes Jesus is his savior, just like I do. I've studied it deeply, and maybe people don't agree with me, but I like to look at a person's value and what they stand for.
Politics aside, which Jesus, Joel? Are you suggesting that his savior is also your savior? I hope not.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At October 17, 2007 5:21 PM, Blogger Mike Baker said...

"I charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by his appearing and his kingdom: preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and exhort, with complete patience and teaching. For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths. As for you, always be sober-minded, endure suffering, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry." 2 Timothy 4:1-5

 

Post a Comment

<< Home