Wednesday, September 06, 2006

The Unreal World of Word of Faith Theology

As their leaders start to age, the doctrines of the Word of Faith preachers slowly start to disintegrate, even to the point that those leaders sometimes start to realize the errors in their teachings. A recent example is the former pastor of Carpenter's Home Church in Lakeland, Florida, Karl Strader. Strader has been battling prostate cancer in recent years and the Lakeland paper, The Ledger, July 15th, 2006 reports:
Strader said that there is one thing he has learned as a result of the events of the last 15 years, that the role of suffering had been ignored by Pentecostals. Catholics have always stressed identifying with the suffering of Christ, and for that reason it was viewed with suspicion, but Strader came to realize that it is taught in the Bible, he said.

"I had 19 years of incredible growth and 19 years of incredible decline. I swallowed hard and asked, 'Am I a failure? Is God against me?' And having gone through this experience with Dan for the last 11 years...

"We're to have 'the fellowship of his sufferings.' We've got to learn how to suffer," Strader said. "We have to learn how to take reversals and not put a spin on it and say 'it's a beautiful day.' It's not a beautiful day. ... We've got to go through it just like (Jesus) did."

2 Comments:

At September 06, 2006 9:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! I really enjoy your blog. Are you syndicated? I didn't see the link. Would love to add you to my RSS feed. Thanks for the work you do!

 
At September 07, 2006 7:21 AM, Blogger Bob Hunter said...

No, I'm afraid I haven't figured out how to do that yet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home